Choking prevention put into practice | June 2018

Dechoker UK were pleased to announce their device has helped save another care home resident from choking, just over a month since their first in the UK. The 87-year-old was enjoying lunch at one of Oakdale Care Group’s homes when he began to choke on a piece of food which had become stuck in his airway.

The incident occurred at the recently opened Timken Grange Care Home in Duston, Northampton. The home, along with the rest of Oakdale’s portfolio, have Dechoker devices on every floor with their care teams comprehensively trained both how and when to use them.

“Choking is responsible for around 6 care home deaths every month.” said Matt Oakley, Director at Dechoker UK. “We are both pleased and proud that once again Dechoker has been shown to be effective in a choking emergency.”

The effects of a choking death are far-reaching. Initially there will be an emotional impact on the other residents and staff, especially those involved. In addition to this there is the reputational damage to the home, the time and implications associated with a visit from the CQC and the subsequent Coroner’s inquest.

“We are delighted that our carers have been trained and are comfortable with using the Dechoker.“ said Rachel Cadd, Timken Grange Home Manager. “We are confident that we would not hesitate in using the device again should the occasion arise.”

Dechoker continues to develop relationships with care providers large and small to ensure the safety of both their residents and care staff in the event of a choking emergency.

Latest articles